Allow your budding author to write a book this week. Submissions are due this Friday. Last year, one of our friends won this competition and was shown on TV reading his book.
Join us for the 2010 PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest, a national competition designed to promote the advancement of children’s reading skills through hands-on, active learning.
The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest extends the powerful tradition and annual success of the 15-year national “Reading Rainbow Young Writers and Illustrators Contest.” This initiative encourages children in grades K-3 in East Tennessee and around the country to celebrate the power of creative writing and design by submitting their own original stories and illustrations.
Original stories can be fictional or fact, prose or poetry. Stories must include an illustration such as a drawing, photo, 3-D art or collage. They will be judged on originality, creative expression, storytelling and integration of text and illustrations. All submissions must meet the guidelines outlined on the rules below and be sent to ETPtv by Friday, April 2, 2010. Only one submission per student.
Entries should be sent to:
East Tennessee Public Television
1611 E. Magnolia Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37917
One local winner will be selected in each grade level. Local winners will receive:
* A backpack from B&W Y12
* A book from Carpe Librum Booksellers
* A $10 gift certificate to Smart Toys and Books
* Two passes to the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame
* Two passes to the Museum of Appalachia
* A $10 pass to a Smokies Baseball game
* A pass to Ripley’s Aquarium in the Smokies
* A pass to the Children’s Museum of Oak Ridge
* The opportunity to read their story on-air
* And, the opportunity to compete in the national competition! The national prizes include laptops, digital cameras and MP3 players.